Thursday, July 27, 2006

Donating Platelets

Yesterday I donated platelets for the first time. I have to say that while a slightly uncomfortable experience, the staff were excellent, friendly and professional.

I've been donating blood for a while, and a month or so ago they asked me to go in for a test to see whether I could donate platelets.

I can, and yesterday I did it for the first time. It took around an hour and a half, and was only mildy uncomfortable. A machine takes the blood,spins it round a centrifuge to extract the platelets and returns the remaining blood to the body. Because you are not donating whole blood you can donate more frequently.

Platelets go mostly to people being treated for cancer or leukaemia, people with sever infections or who are recovering from major operations.

I think everybody should give blood, and if you can donate platelets then you really should. It really does save lives. It's easy to be selfish and not have the time, but what about when it's you or your family, your children, your parents. You would be shocked if a doctor turned round and said sorry, there's no blood.

It may be an inconvienience and it may be uncomfortable, but it is worth it.

No comments: